It has been an age-old tradition to decorate homes and office with terracotta mitti items and diyas. It is also considered auspicious to use terracotta clay item. The Panchmukhi Hanuman or the Panchamukhi Anjaneya is believed to be one of his virat (gigantic) forms. Some even believe that there are two forms of Panchmukhi Hanuman. Five majestic faces all belonging to Hanuman is one form while the second is the more popular one. Five majestic faces, each belonging to different gods:
- Lord Hanuman: He faces eastwards with steadfast devotion. Worshipping Hanuman helps one to get rid of one’s sins and bestows peace, purity, happiness, and fulfillment.
- Lord Narasimha: One of the many avatars of Lord Vishnu, this lion form is south facing. Lord Vishnu took this form to protect his devotee, Prahlada. Worshipping Narasimha removes fear. Fearlessness and victory are the blessings showered on the devotee.
- Lord Garuda: Facing west, the Garuda or eagle is part of the Panchmukhi Hanuman manifestation. He offers protection from negative influences, black magic, and evil spirits.
- Lord Adivaraha: The boar is another manifestation and is believed to remove the bad effects of planetary movements. Facing the north, Varaha bestows wealth and prosperity.
- Lord Hayagriva: The form of the horse faces upward, blessing one with knowledge, progeny and liberation.
The Panchmukhi Hanuman is magnificent and awe-inspiring.